Delhi violence: India slams ‘misleading, irresponsible’ remarks by international bodies | India News


NEW DELHI: India on Thursday hit out at the “inaccurate, misleading and irresponsible” remarks made by some foreign agencies and individuals on the Delhi violence that has claimed at least 34 lives so far.
Reacting strongly to the comments made by Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), ministry of external affairs spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said, “The OIC statement is factually inaccurate, selective and misleading. There is an effort on ground to restore normalcy and create confidence. We urge these bodies not to issue irresponsible statements”.
The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) had condemned the violence in Delhi over the last few days.
In a statement, the OIC said it “condemns the recent and alarming violence against Muslims in India, resulting in the death and injury of innocent people and the arson and vandalism of mosques and Muslim-owned properties”.
Calling the violence “heinous”, the organization extended its condolences to the families of the victims.
The OIC had asked India to bring the “instigators and perpetrators of anti-Muslim violence to justice and to ensure the safety and security of all its Muslim citizens and the protection of Islamic holy places across the country”.
Kumar’s response came hours after he had condemned similar remarks made by the US commission on religious freedom on the Delhi violence.
The United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) had on Wednesday expressed “grave concern” over incidents of violence and said they are targeted against a minority community.
The commission had said that the Indian government should provide protection to people regardless of their faith.
“We urge the Indian government to make serious efforts to protect Muslims and others targeted by mob violence,” USCIRF Chair Tony Perkins said in a statement on Wednesday.
“Seen comments made by USCIRF, sections of media and a few individuals on recent incidents of violence in Delhi. These are factually inaccurate and misleading, and appear to be aimed at politicising the issue,” MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said earlier today.
The MEA said that the law enforcement agencies are working on the ground to prevent violence and ensure restoration of confidence and normalcy.
“Senior representatives of the government have been involved in that process. The prime minister has publicly appealed for peace and brotherhood. We would urge that irresponsible comments are not made at this sensitive time,” said Kumar.
Meanwhile, the US State Department has also made an appeal for peace amid tensions in Delhi, saying that it echoes PM Modi’s call for calm and normalcy in the area.

“Our hearts go out to the families of the deceased and injured in New Delhi. We echo PM @NarendraModi’s call for calm and normalcy and urge all parties to maintain peace, refrain from violence, and respect the right of peaceful assembly,” acting assistant secretary of state for South and Central Asia Alice Wells tweeted.
In Video:Irresponsible, inaccurate: MEA on OIC’s statement on Delhi riots





Follow:Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *